Wednesday, September 7, 2011

What's Cookin' Wednesday - Chicken Broccoli Braid


Today, I am sharing my recent cooking of Chicken Broccoli Braid. I was first introduced to this recipe by a Pampered Chef consultant many years ago. She demonstrated the cooking of this recipe and used 1,001 different Pampered Chef utensils and tools that I neither own, nor are necessary for the preparation of this recipe. She was fun to watch though, and I would like to say thank you to you, Pampered Chef consultant, wherever you are for introducing me to the wonders and joys of cooking on stoneware. I love it to this day!
If I recall, her version included chopped red bell pepper, which made a pretty and yummy addition.

I decided to cook this after not making it in a very long time, because I was reminded of it by seeing it on this blog. But, also because I happened to have all of the ingredients in my kitchen. Always a bonus!

I found this on my last trip to Trader Joe's. I have put it in my girl's lunches and it came in handy for this recipe!

Okay, I guess I have to thank my Pampered Chef consultant for one more thing... introducing me to this microwave steamer. I love it. I use it all the time!

I chopped up the chicken and the broccoli and tossed them into a bowl.

Next, I grated some cheese with another of my favorite kitchen tools. This Microplane brand box grater is the best! One side slides out for easy cleaning. Best invention ever.

I tossed in some mayo. The recipe calls for light mayo, but I don't keep that in the house. I would have loved to use Duke's Mayo (a staple of a Southern kitchen), but I haven't found that in San Diego grocery stores.

Meanwhile, place the crescent roll dough on a baking stone or baking sheet. I halved the recipe, so I put my dough down in a long line. Normally, you would have twice as much dough, so it would go side by side instead.


Cut the edges of the dough into strips. I use a pizza cutter - makes it very easy.

Spread the filling down the center of the dough, and criss-cross the strips over the top of the filling.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 28 minutes.

Yummy!

2 cans Pillsbury Original Crescent Rolls
2 cups chicken chunks, cooked
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
2 cups broccoli, steamed and chopped
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1 egg
fresh rosemary

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. On a baking sheet or stone, spread both cans of crescent dough length wis to form a long rectangle.
3. Press each of the seams to form a single layer of dough.
4. In a large bowl, combine chicken, cheese, broccoli, and mayo.
5. Spread mixture over the center of the croissant dough evenly, down the middle.
6. Using a sharp knife or a pizza cutter, cut horizontal strips 1 inch apart down each side of the crescent dough.
7. Fold the dough strips over the top of the chicken mixture, alternating each side to create the braid look.
8. Brush the top of the braid with the beaten egg and sprinkle fresh rosemary on top.
9. Bake for 28-30 minutes, or until golden brown and the filling is bubbly.

No comments: