Wednesday, September 28, 2011

What's Cookin' Wednesday - Banana Blueberry Pancakes

My girls woke up and asked for Banana Blueberry Pancakes for breakfast. I thought to the kitchen where I knew I had some bananas turning funky and a HUGE container of blueberries that were on sale at Trader Joe's last week. Perfect, I thought!
So, off to google I went and discovered a recipe, courtesy of Taste of Home.

Amazingly, I had all the ingredients and didn't have to do any last minute substitutions. Almost all of the ingredients are totally staples, but I was a little worried I wouldn't have the whole wheat flour on hand. As it turns out, I did.

First, mix up the dry ingredients.

Then, mix up the wet ingredients.

Mix the dry and wet ingredients together until just moistened. Remember, pancake batter is supposed to be lumpy.

I heated up my griddle and sprayed it with some non-stick spray. I cook with the same cookware I received as wedding gifts (just shy of 15 years ago). They are the Pots and Pans line from Calphalon. After a quick search online, it doesn't appear that Calphalon produces it anymore. Sad. I want to say that the set was a 10 piece set and was a few hundred dollars. They are fantastic to cook with. I love them. What is different about them is that the inside bottom surface of the pots and pans have little bumps on them. I am not sure what the exact purpose of the bumps is, but I can tell you that when I was a newlywed, I scorched a pot roast. Really scorched it. I stuck a fork in it and the whole thing pulled right out and the pan looked totally clean. No burned on, stuck on mess at all. I have to believe the bumps had something to do with that!

I used a ladle to measure out the pancake batter onto the griddle and placed a few blueberries on each one.

When they start to bubble, flip them over.

I will post more about my girls' plates in an upcoming Favorite Things Friday feature. But, here is a sneak peak.

Here are the pancakes served up - I sliced some banana and threw a few more blueberries on top and then poured syrup over.

Wow. All I can say is Wow. These pancakes were so easy to make and tasted restaurant good. The next time I have overnight guests, I am totally making these.
Unbelievably. Good. Delicious!

Ingredients

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
Maple syrup, optional

Directions

In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the egg, milk, bananas and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot griddle coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with blueberries. Turn when bubbles form on top; cook until second side is golden brown. Serve with syrup if desired. Yield: 14 pancakes.


No comments: