Wednesday, September 10, 2008

O- Nuts!



Liz went for a 20 mile bike ride on Sunday. I was so inspired by her fitness. I decided to go the opposite route and make doughnuts instead! I busted out my Better Homes and Garden cookbook. And, I mean that literally. The poor thing is really falling to pieces. It is 4 big pieces and lots of loose pages!



Chocolate Cake Doughnuts

3 1/4 cps all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 beaten eggs
1 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c milk
2 tbsp butter
2 oz unsweetened chocolate (I used semi-sweet)

In a mixing bowl, stir together 2 /14 cups of the flour, the baking powder, salt. In large mixing bowl combine eggs, sugar, and vanilla, beat with an electric mixer until thick. Melt together the butter and chocolate. Combine milk and melted butter and chocolate. Add flour mixture and milk mixture alternately to egg mixture, beating just till blended after each addition. Stir in remaining 1 cup flour. Cover dough and chill for about 2 hours.
On lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a floured 2 1/2 inch doughnut cutter. Reroll as necessary.
Fry two or three doughnuts at a time in deep hot fat (375 degrees) about 1 minute on each side or until golden, turning once with a slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels.
Drizzle warm doughnuts with glaze.
Yum!





I mixed up the dough, and let it chill for a couple hours before rolling it out. I don't own a doughnut cutter, so I dug through the cookie cutter box to see if I had something that would work. Last year, after Valentine's day, I found a set of Valentine cookie cutters on sale and picked them up. In that set, was an X and an O. The O looked sort of doughnutty shaped, so I used it.



Olivia hovered nearby the entire time I was making the O-nuts, swiping dough bits, and blowing on the cooked O-nuts to help them cool faster.




I glazed them with a powdered sugar glaze and the girls loved them!





7 comments:

Misty said...

So, I saw Donuts on the "worst food you could ever eat, EVER" list and I was sad... So I decided never to eat a donut again.
THEN I read your post and I thought "That would be so fun for Genny and I to together on a crisp autumn saturday."
So yeah. :)

Patty Young said...

Hi Missy!

Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog. Please stop by my booth when you are at Quilt Market... I'd love to meet you!

BTW, those donuts look delish!

patty

Kim@The Polka Dot Press said...

Ok, for someone doing Weight Watchers, those doughnuts look completely to DIE for!!! Yumm-o!

Lindsay said...

Those look very krispy kremey...I would be all over those things. I have that cookbook...hmmmm
Lindsay

Amy said...

YUMMY!

Rebekah said...

Yummo!!

I have a recipe for doughnut muffins - tastes like doughnuts, but not fried, so better for you... I'll have to post that one soon!

kelly said...

everything is looking tasty tonight!