Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Project a Day - Christmas Sign for 2013

 I realize it is January and a full 11 and 1/2 months until Christmas, but I thought I would get a head start!! Ha! Actually, I had intended (big surprise) to make this Rudolph sign over the holidays and it just didn't get done (again, big surprise).  My Dad was here and I asked him to prep me some plywood for the sign, and go ahead and make an extra board for my Mom too.  So, since these pretty, white boards were all prepped and ready and staring me in the face, I decided to get a jump on the Christmas holidays and go ahead and make them now!

I saw the sign on Pinterest originally, and the pin linked back here. It appears the original sign was painted on a 1/2" thick pine board, with some distressing.
I will be making my sign on 1/2" plywood, and using vinyl lettering instead.  But, I think the end result will be roughly the same.
I used my handy, dandy Silhouette cutter and cut out all of the lettering. Unlike my last project, I did all the words separately in order to not waste so much vinyl.  This lettering was going to be large enough to piece together with reasonable accuracy.
First, I placed the silver lettering for Rudolph.
Then, I added the big red circle for the O in Rudolph.

Here it is about halfway through. There was lots of measuring involved in this sign, so it took a lot longer to finish!
And, here it is all finished!  I still have to complete the one for my Mom, but I am pretty stoked to have a new Christmas decoration and it is only January! ;)


No comments: