Friday, March 30, 2012

Organizing - Laundry Room

I don't have a before picture to show you, but it was so embarrassing, I probably wouldn't have been able to bear to put it here anyway!
I am a pile-er. I have been a pile-er for as long as I can remember. I have piles of stuff everywhere. Seriously, I am only a few short years from qualifying for the tv show, Hoarders. But, I am determined to slowly, but surely, work on a more organized home.

I have been choosing small areas of my home to spend 15 to 30 minutes on, like this one shelf in the laundry room. And, with a manageable task, and a manageable amount of time, I am seeing some success.
I don't know about you, but when I look around my home, and I see the clutter, and so much of it everywhere, I just get overwhelmed. Not knowing where to start, I can't seem to get started at all.
I didn't choose the entire laundry room, that would have taken more time than I felt like I had, and would have been such a large job. So, I chose the shelf above the washer and dryer. I didn't do the cabinets above, I will save that for another day. I just did the shelf. It took about 20 minutes, and I threw away an entire bag full of trash. Hard to believe, huh? That one shelf could hold so much junk that the items on the shelf remain and I still had an entire bag to throw away!

I am so much happier now with my laundry room. I have a neatly organized shelf, a small pink bucket with my things in it. A small white bin for Shady's doggy items, and - shocking, I know - lots of room for actual laundry soaps and cleaning items!
I have done a couple more areas since then and I am really tickled with the results! I cleaned out a little catch-all basket that hangs in my kitchen, and I cleaned out our Croc basket. The biggest organizing activity so far? The hall coat and game closet - really impressive results!
Do you have a little area and 15 minutes to spare? You can work wonders!

No comments: