Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Homemade Chocolate Syrup

Sophia was having a playdate and she and her friend asked for some chocolate milk.  Naturally, both of the two bottles of chocolate syrup I found in the refrigerator were empty. So, I decided to make my own chocolate syrup. How hard could it be?

I googled recipes and the first few recipes I found made larger quantities than I thought I would want to commit to.  I did find this one that looked a little more reasonable.

½ cup cocoa powder
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
⅛ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon vanilla
Mix the cocoa powder and the water in a saucepan. 

Heat and stir to dissolve the cocoa. Add the sugar, and stir to dissolve. 
I didn't have any white sugar (weird, I know!), so I substituted brown sugar. Seemed to work out okay.

Boil for 3 minutes over medium heat. Be careful not to let it get too hot and boil over! 
Pay special attention to the tip to be careful and not let it boil over! It was quite a big mess to clean up!

Add the salt and the vanilla. Let cool. Pour into a clean glass jar, and store in the refrigerator. Keeps for several months, but trust me it will be gone before then. Yields two cups.
I was going to take a picture of my two taste-testers trying out their chocolate milk, but they drank it too fast! Said it was delicious! :)



 

No comments: