Thursday, March 5, 2009

Spaghetti Cupcakes

I volunteered to take dessert for a party last weekend. The food was catered from Olive Garden, so I thought these cupcakes would go nicely with the theme. They were so easy to make and looked so real, the kids almost didn't want to eat them!
 

This is the most awesome cookbook for terrific cupcake ideas! I used this cookbook for the cupcakes I made last October for Olivia's birthday party. You can see them here. Liz had made these for her family Christmas gathering last December and told me how easy they were, so I gave them a try.

 

Start off by baking cupcakes. The cookbook has a recipe for cupcakes, but I cheated and used a box mix. I did a double batch, so I used 2 cans of vanilla icing. To get the right spaghetti color, you tint it with yellow food coloring and a little bit of cocoa. Ice the cupcakes with a really thin coating of icing before you make your spaghetti noodles.
Scoop the icing into a ziploc bag and clip a tiny corner off so you can squeeze out your spaghetti. That was totally fun to do.
 

The sauce and meatballs were made of low sugar strawberry preserves and Ferrero Roche candies.
 

They looked so cool! And tasted even better!
 


5 comments:

Momto5 RachelJoy Photography said...

that is just tooo fun!!! I want to try that some day!! :)

Kate said...

They look awesome! They really do look like spaghetti and meatballs! A friend of mine made the dog cupcakes (on the books cover) for a labradoodle get together, they look great too! That must be a neat cookbook.

jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas said...

What a fun idea! Now I have to think of a reason to make them!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited to make these, but i was a little worried about using jelly on top of icing? wouldn't that taste bad? is there any thing else i could use that would look like spaghetti sauce? Thanks!!

Tash said...

This was really helpful, I'm going to try making these soon. Thank you! x