Sunday, March 22, 2009

Potato Leek Soup

Another cooking post already, can you believe it??
I have been trying to cook easy, healthy meals for my family, and utilize the organic vegetables that I get every Thursday.

This week, I made Potato Leek Soup and it was really good!

3 Tablespoons Butter
3 leeks, thinly sliced. (clean really well an only use the white and light green part)
1 medium or large onion, chopped
6-8 russet potatoes (I only had irish potatoes, so I used about 12. You don't need to peel the potatoes because the peels add to the texture of the soup)
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
salt to taste
fresh ground black pepper to taste

1. melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat and then add onions and leeks. Cook, stirring, until onions are limp and just slightly brown.

2. Add sliced potatoes to saucepan and pour in enough chicken broth to just barely cover the potatoes. Continue cooking over medium heat until potatoes are tender. Using a potato masher, mash and stir potatoes until desired consistency. As you mash the potatoes and the soup thickens, turn down heat and stir frequently with a large spoon to prevent scorching.

3. add one cup of heavy cream and salt and pepper to taste. Cook 15 minutes more over low heat, stirring frequently, then remove from heat and serve.



1 comment:

Mama said...

Missy,
So weird! I have this on my menu plan for tomorrow! Great minds think alike ;0
Sara