Wednesday, April 4, 2012

What's Cookin' Wednesday - Key West Margarita Shrimp


We used to live in the small town of Beaufort, South Carolina, which happens to be home to a TON of great restaurants.
A restaurant we ate at many times was Ollie's By the Bay. It's location overlooks the water and the swing bridge and is terrific. Now, I heard a rumor the other day that I am afraid might be true - that Ollie's closed their doors.
So, I decided to dig out a terrific cookbook produced by the Officer's Wives Organization of Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, Honey from the Hornet's Nest. Now, if you ever happen to run across a copy of that cookbook, snatch it up. It is, by far, the best cookbook I have ever owned. My own personal copy is in tatters, literally falling apart at the seams!
Enjoy this recipe from Ollie's By the Bay...

Key West Margarita Shrimp

1 1/2 lb. large shrimp (26 to 30 count), peeled and deveined.
1/4 c. lime juice
1/4 c. tequila
1/4 c. water
1/4 c. finely chopped onion
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. salt
cooked brown or white rice
lime slices (for garnish)



To prepare: Pace shrimp in a shallow, glass dish. Combine lime juice, tequila, water, chopped onion, olive oil, and salt. Add to shrimp and stir. Marinate, stirring occasionally , for 10 minutes. Remove shrimp from marinade, reserving marinade and thread onto four 15 inch skewers, running the skewer through each shrimp twice. Transfer marinade to a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes; set aside.

Coat grill rack with vegetable cooking spray. Place kebabs on grill rack 4 to 6 inches over medium-hot coals. Grill, turning once, just until shrimp is opaque, allowing about 3 minutes on each side. Remove shrimp from skewers and arrange on cooked rice; spoon some of the cooked marinade over each serving. Garnish with lime slices. Makes 4 servings.



Now, I have to tell you that when I got out all of my ingredients and got ready to make this recipe, I realized that I didn't have any tequila! So, I texted my friend, Allison, and asked her if she had some that I could borrow. Her reply?
"How much do you need. Or do you just need the whole bottle?"
Made me laugh out loud!!

No comments: