Monday, May 16, 2011

Meet Jessica

Most of you know that Sweet Funky Vintage was started by Missy (me) and Liz, several years ago. We had a blast growing our little idea into the company it is today. Last year, Liz bought a local embroidery business in Tallahassee, FL, and just wasn't able to continue with Sweet Funky Vintage. She is now busy making her new business venture into just the most fantastic gift go-to store! So, if you are in her neck of the woods, be sure to stop in and shop at M&M Monogramming and Gifts. We were sad to part ways at SFV, but wish her the very best of luck!
Liz was able to turn over her part of Sweet Funky Vintage to a wonderful new addition to SFV - Jessica Lane.
Jessica and I knew of each other and had a few mutual friends through the selling of custom children's clothing on Ebay. When I found out that I was moving to San Diego, I started asking around for more information about the area and that sort of thing. One friend mentioned that she was pretty sure that Jessica lived in the neighborhood I was moving into! Small world! I reached out to her by email and she said that it was funny, but she was pretty sure that she had read my daughter's name on the class list of the preschool in which she was teaching. Smaller world! As it turns out, not only did we live in the same neighborhood, and she was my daughter's preschool teacher, but our husbands were also both Marines! So, Jessica and I have been friends for the past three years, and now we are also partners in Sweet Funky Vintage.

I wanted you all to get to know Jessica a little bit better, so I had her answer a few questions for us!

1. Can you tell us a little about yourself?
Well, I’d probably describe myself by my family: mom to 2 beautiful kids, and wife to 1 handsome Marine. I’d like to say I’m creative and caring. That I love color and fabric and crafts. I love to create new things and make people happy!

2. How you first got involved in with children’s clothing?
I’ve been sewing most of my life~ both of my Grandmothers were quilters, so sewing was always a part of family culture. When my nieces were little I made them dresses and clothes, and when I had my own kids, my love for sewing was rekindled. I love heirloom sewing and classic styles, but also love to use bright colors and funky twists.

3. What do you do when you aren’t working at Sweet Funky Vintage?
Usually I’m running my two kids around~ church, sports, after school activities and play dates (“hang outs” they say~ thank you Diary of a Wimpy Kid!)

4. If you were stranded on a desert island and were allowed one luxury item, what would it be and why?
Oh my…. A refrigerator filled with a never ending supply of Diet Coke. I’m an addict, what can I say?

5. Do you have any phobias?
Spiders. And I’m not fond of other creepy crawlies. But spiders I have the kids put outside for me… I can’t kill ‘em (even though my husband says, “You’re a thousand times bigger than it!” But I don’t really want to kill them… I just don’t want them inside!)

6. Who inspires you and why? So many people! My Mom~ for her unconditional love and guidance. So many of my friends~ each for different reasons. Historical figures~ usually the ones who defied convention and changed their world!

7. If you could have one superpower, what would it be and why?
Selfishly~ probably to be able to fly, just for the sheer joy of it!
For World Peace maybe super strength? Or the ability to stop time? Whatever would cause people to pause and really join together. Is there any ability to do that???

8. Can you tell us one thing about yourself that would surprise people who know you?
Most people are surprised to learn that I went to a military academy (go USAFA!) and was in the Air Force for 5 ½ years. It always shocks people to learn that! And that I was a chemistry major~ that shocks people too! Maybe I don’t radiate “nerd” like I thought I did.

Jessica's fun facts include……
-(fact about your family)~ I love to play games! We don’t do it often enough, but I love games.

-(what you spend most of your time doing)
These days it’s probably work and Mom-taxi. I’m trying to enjoy it though, because I know soon enough I’ll miss it!

-Ferocious reader, when it includes ________.
Science Fiction. I love sci fi! LOL

-________ makes her weak in the knees.
My hubby. Rofl… is that too cheesy? Really? Someone who makes me laugh, is caring, loving, and kind. Before hubby~ a foreign accent! LOL I’m a sucker for a foreign accent.


No comments: